This Financial Services Guide describes the services we provide and is designed to assist you to decide whether to use them. It also describes how we are remunerated, our professional indemnity insurance and how we handle any complaints you may have.
We hold an Australian financial services licence that authorises us to provide financial product advice and deal in the following types of products:
- Deposit and payment products (limited to deposit products);
- Life insurance products including investment and life risk products;
- Interests in managed investment schemes including investor directed portfolio services;
- Retirement savings accounts (“RSA”) products;
- Securities; and
Life/Risk Insurance Advice
We are specialists in life risk advice. Our risk insurance advisory services can assist you to:
- Identify your risk insurance objectives and develop appropriate goals and strategies;
- Obtain advice on insurance policies and how to implement them; and
- Identify and arrange life insurance protection policies that are suitable for your needs.
Your risk insurance adviser will be employed by us and will give you other documents when providing these services, including:
- Statements of Advice – Any advice about your personal circumstances will be set out in a Statement of Advice. This will also tell you how we will be paid for our advice. If further advice is provided to you, this may be recorded in a Record of Advice and a copy will be available on request.
- Product Disclosure Statements – If we recommend that you acquire a financial product we will provide you with a Product Disclosure Statement containing information about the product’s features and risks.
We act for you when giving personal financial advice and arranging products we have recommended for you.
Steadfast Life Express
You can purchase life insurance online through Steadfast Life Express (a trading name of Steadfast Life Pty Ltd). This insurance is issued by MetLife Insurance Ltd (MetLife) for who we act when arranging this insurance. We will provide you with a Product Disclosure Statement if you purchase insurance online via our website www.steadfastlifeexpress.com.au
How We Are Paid
Life/Risk Insurance Advice
If you purchase any product(s) we recommend, we will receive upfront and/or ongoing brokerage fees from the product provider(s). Unless your SOA says otherwise, we will not invoice you for our services. Depending on the product(s) you purchase, our brokerage will range from 30-130% (incl GST) of your initial annual premium plus between 8.8-35% (incl GST) of subsequent renewal premiums. This is paid by the issuer of the product(s) and is not an additional cost to you.
Eg. If your first year’s premium is $500 and we receive brokerage of 125% of the initial premium and 25% of subsequent premiums, we will receive $625 (incl GST) when you purchase the policy and $125 (incl GST) for each subsequent year you hold the policy.
If you cancel an insurance policy within the first 12 months, we may invoice you for our fees for preparing your SOA at an hourly rate of $200 (plus GST), up to a maximum of 4 hours, to cover our costs.
We may also charge a ‘review service fee’ from time to time, depending on any additional services you require.
We will clearly disclose any brokerage that we will receive in the SOA we give you.
Steadfast Life Express
If you purchase life insurance through Steadfast Life Express, we will receive the following from MetLife:
- 70% (incl GST) of your initial annual premium; and
- 18% (incl GST) of your annual premium payable on each renewal of the policy.
Who We Pay
Our employees receive an annual salary. Our risk insurance advisers are also entitled to receive a performance bonus which is dependent on their meeting a range of criteria, including in relation to new business, meeting our compliance, continuing education and client service standards.
If you have been referred to us for Life/Risk Insurance Advice, we may pay a fee for the referral. Any such fee will be disclosed in the SOA we give you.
If you are referred to Steadfast Life Express by a General Insurance Broker in the Steadfast Group, we will pay the broker 33% (plus GST) of any commission we earn on initial and subsequent renewal premiums.
We have arrangements with the following insurance providers:
- AIA Australia Ltd – who pays us an additional 5% of the net value of new business we introduce to them annually.
- Asteron Life (Part of the Suncorp Group) – our financial advisers may qualify to participate in the ‘Life Partnership Reward Program’ and subject to certain conditions, we may receive additional renewal commission.
- TAL Life Limited – our advisers may qualify to participate in the ‘TAL Business Partnership Program’ and subject to certain conditions, we may qualify for additional remuneration.
- MetLife Insurance Limited – we are a distributor of direct life insurance products issued by MetLife.
- Macquarie Life Limited – who may pay us a ‘Profit Share Margin’ payment of up to 9% of net new premium if certain conditions are met.
If we provide you with Life/Risk Insurance Advice, full details of all benefits we will receive will be disclosed in the SOA we give you. Any such benefits are paid by product providers and are not an additional charge to you.
We may receive ‘soft dollar benefits’ from providers of life risk products, including in relation to sponsorship and professional development. These may include lunches, invitations to sporting events, theatre tickets, branded promotional items and occasional gifts on special occasions etc. We maintain a register of such soft dollar benefits that have a value of $100 – $300. This can be viewed on request.
Professional Indemnity Insurance
We have professional indemnity insurance in place which covers us for errors or mistakes relating to our services. This meets the requirements of the Corporations Act and covers the services provided by us, our representatives and referrers after they cease working with us provided we notify the insurer of the claim when it arises and this is done within the relevant policy period.
Firstly, contact us and tell us about your concern.
If this does not resolve the issue to your satisfaction, please contact our Complaints Officer on 02 8456 7866. We will acknowledge receipt of your complaint promptly, and attempt to resolve it within 45 days.
We are a member of the Financial Ombudsman Service Limited (FOS), an external dispute resolution scheme. If you are not satisfied with the manner in which we handle your complaint, you are entitled to take your complaint to them. They can be contacted through their website at www.fos.org.au and by telephone on 1300 78 08 08. You can access this scheme for free and any decision FOS makes is binding on us, but not on you.
We are committed to protecting your privacy in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the Australian Privacy Principles. We collect your personal information to provide you with financial advice and/or to arrange financial products such as life insurance for you. If you don’t provide us with full information, we may not be able to do this.
We provide your information to the product issuers you choose to deal with. We do not disclose it to overseas recipients.
If you are concerned about our handing of your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer using the contact details below.
Steadfast Life Pty Ltd ABN 81 111 380 388
AFS Licence No 421904
Steadfast Life – Head Office Address
Level 11, 122 Arthur Street
Steadfast Life – Postal Address
PO Box 539
This FSG was prepared on 7 November 2014.